Thursday 21 November 2013

30 days of thankfulness- day 21.

Today I am thankful for a reminder of this article.

I have read it before and it really struck a chord. It was nice to be reminded by a dear friend of these things that prove to be consistently important to people when they reflect back on their life.

This is it in a nutshell:


"1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.
3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
5. I wish that I had let myself be happier."
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/01/top-five-regrets-of-the-dying

It's not that I think that life is too short, but rather that life is too precious. This is our one shot to be happy and live a whole hearted life- I don't want to waste it!
I can look at each of those points and recognise times in my life where I have had the thought flicker across my busy mind...'I just wish I could....' 
Thinking happy makes me happy, spending time with genuine friends makes me happy, expressing myself and being true to my heart makes me happy and taking some time away from work (even if that just means a weekend or a holiday) to stop and enjoy life makes me happy. It all looks so simple, but there have been many times in my life when it has all seemed completely impossible. Sometimes it is harder to appreciate my good fortune, good health and wonderful family and friends- sometimes it takes a conscious effort to remember. 
I am thankful that I am at a point where all of these things feel possible. I am thankful that I have created the opportunity for myself to make those things possible. I am thankful for the support around me to make those things possible. 
Hello Helen- this is for you!! xx



No comments:

Post a Comment