Friday 3 August 2012

Jonas

Our darling boy is turning 6 next week! Oh my...where did that time go? He is such a gorgeous boy and we have a long, long list of reasons to be proud of him.
We are having way too much fun planning a birthday party for him but I am just so excited that he agreed to invite people!!! Not many people, but a few friends is fantastic. He felt too shy to invite anyone to start with but the list grew to include a few of the boys from school- how exciting. The circus theme was a very cool idea and I have wasted many hours scanning pinterest for the gorgeousness that is available. Party planning is the most awesome mood lifter- how can you not feel perpetually cheerful when you are in party planner mode?
Jojo made some great progress this week. He let me record his voice for news at school! He even let the class listen to it twice (although he didn't tell me about that bit). His teacher was very happy too. This was a HUGE step for him and something we have been working towards for so, so long. I am so hopeful that he will let us continue to record his voice until he is ready to let me film him talking.
He is starting play therapy in 2 weeks time and we are very optimistic about this helping him to face his anxiety. We have no idea why he stopped talking to people outside of the immediate family, but the play therapist believes she will be able to work it out.

The best documentary was on this week and it showed a little girl who is also a selective mute. Watching her progress was so positive and brought tears to my eyes.

Here is the link if you are interested:
My Child's Not Perfect


My children are not perfect, and neither am I, but I certainly couldn't be any happier that they are mine. I know how lucky I am to have my 3 precious boys and I am grateful for them every day.

3 comments:

  1. Wow - that is a huge step!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember a little girl I had at Blackett that was a selective mute. I can remember the other students listening to her voice recording for the first time and the smile she had on her face as they listened. What a great step in the right direction!!
    I hope you got my email address!! I'm looking forward to your help!! My CV writing course is on Monday. Oh my!! Then I have one week to complete my CV. ( Biting nails furiously!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember her too Angie. She was talking happily eventually. I will forward my resume to you now. xx

    ReplyDelete